Sunday, March 30, 2008

I'm not single!
I know that may disappoint all the ladies of Grand Junction, but just to remind myself that I'm not a single man, my wife flew in for a visit. She was able to stay for almost a week, checking out the area, celebrating our first anniversary, and going to a couple interviews. It was a great time, and now we can focus on doing the big move, and getting her (and our stuff) out here. This is the reason that I haven't posted in a while. Sorry about that.


So Julie flew in, and on Saturday and on Saturday we celebrated our anniversary by driving through the Colorado National Monument, hitting up the local wineries, and going out to a very classy dinner. The pic above is the two of us at the monument. It was a beautiful day, and of course Julie was constantly mentioning how nice it'll be to have her good cameras out here to photograph the area.
As for the wineries, there are over 13 local wineries in the Grand Junction area, with most focused in Palisade. Palisade is also known for it's fruit orchards, so there are a very broad range of wines to choose from. Standards (Chardonays, Cabs, Merlots, Shiraz, Rieslings, etc) to fruity (Cherry, Peach, Plum, Elderberry, Chokecherry) to even Meads. We only made it to 5 before she started feeling tipsy, "I think I'm getting tipsy. I think I'm getting drunk. I think we should stop now." But in her defense, we did have the equivilent of at least 6 glasses of wine each by that point (aka more than a bottle) and up at altitude you get drunk faster. And of course, we were so focused on the drinking, we got no pics from that day. Guess we gotta go back!


Sunday we went skiing (see pic above). We decided that with all the travelling Julie's doing, we'd hit the closest hill to GJ...Powderhorn. It's a little place with only 3 lifts, but plenty of blue cruisers and few fun black runs. Seeing how the weather was wonderfully spring-like, we pretty much stuck to the cruisers and just enjoyed the day. Powderhorn is 45 minutes from our apartment here in GJ, door to door, with free parking, nice small parking lots close to the lifts (again see pic above), and very little crowds. I'll finish with another shot of us from the parking lot showing the beautiful view from the Mesa (Powderhorn is on the Grand Mesa). Of course the pic hardly does it justice, and if you don't believe me, you'll just have to come visit.



2 comments:

Traveling Bonbon said...

Hober, I love it...the RED PANTS live on!

Anonymous said...

PS - I think you photoshopped out a chunk of your thigh. LOL